Ford Explorer Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll give an update. I took it to the dealer and they recommended new plugs and coils. They wanted $1500 for it so I bought OEM parts on Amazon for $250 and replaced it myself. This did not fix the issue. It still feels like an engine miss when slowly accelerating. I also changed 5 quarts on the transmission with a drain and fill but I don't think that helped anything either. It sucks because the dealership misdiagnosed it and because I din't spend the $1500 with them I really can't hold them accountable either.
Verify the intake valves/ports have been cleaned with extra attention on the port near the PVC hose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our 2017 Explorer 3.5 twin-turbo is experiencing a surge and hesitation at the beginning of a slow take off, or a rolling take off. There are no codes and the dealer has replaced the purge valve. It feels as though you are barely depressing the accelerator and letting off. Any ideas?
Mine did same. I cleaned MAP and problem solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does the same thing, Sport with 77k. What did you clean it with, alcohol and a q-tip or contact cleaner? Are there any other sensors that can be cleaned?

Mine also surges at 50+, under very light acceleration and in OD. In this video, I heard a "pssst pssst pssst" sound in tune with the surging. Hard to hear but turn it up and you can hear it in the background. Is that the wastegate? Maybe this link will work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Frustrated

Do you mind if I ask which dealer is working on your vehicle? Mine is at Hardy Family Ford in Dallas GA. I have had my vehicle there numerous times and they've never been able to duplicate it. And "Ford" is unaware of any other vehicles with this same issue. They also said the way the Hotline works if any other dealer had this issue they would get a hit! This last time, Nov 4th I was able to get it to duplicate the issue with the Service Manager in my vehicle. He said they would get to work and get it solved. They have communicated with the "Hot Line" and a Field Service Engineer came to the dealer, checked another "like" vehicle {which did the SAME thing} and they determined that it was NORMAL OPERATION! I have driven 4 of these vehicles, purposefully, and none of them did it.
Now, Ford customer service says there's nothing else to be done since the Field Service Engineer has made their determination. They now want me to take it to another dealer for a second opinion! Seriously?
They have 300K+ of the same issue. Your only option is to find a good Tech or file under the Lemon Law if it is under Warranty. I have heard but not verified things as simple as spark plug gaps. No one checks these before installing, sometimes even when replacing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Ford Explorer Sport, Ecoboost. This stutter and delay in acceleration is such a frustrating issue. Different dealers and they all say they aren't showing any codes so apparently there isn't a problem. Just swapping parts and hoping it fixes a known issue is not a viable strategy for such a common engine. Sorry, no more Fords in my future. Like when they couldn't replicate the issue where the rear wiper stays on. Found the solution on Google immediately, ordered the part (under $20) fixed in 5 minutes. They treat you like you're a hypochondriac and making it up.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts